Thursday, July 20, 2006

An old friend !!!


Sometimes I like to take a walk by the lake, and to visit an old friend from my childhood.


When I was little, my grand-mother used to tell me the story that Charlie Chaplin moved to Switzerland “his house it’s close to where we live and his wife still lives there" (she even show me road to take to get to their house). Chaplin’s wife has passed away and now she lays next to her husband. 5 years ago when I came to Vevey, I looked everywhere for the statue (I did not remember exactly where it was) and since then I like sometimes to visit it…
By looking at pictures related to Charlie Chaplin, I just learn that he passed away the year I was born, I haven’t visit the cemetery yet, but it’s pretty close to where my uncle lives (so, for sure I will go one of this days…).
I leave with his story, the one that appears on some brochures

Charles Chaplin (1889-1977)
Anglo-American Actor and Director

In 1943 at the peak of his career, Charles Spencer Chaplin married Oona, daughter of the dramatist Eugene O’Neill. During the MacCarthy era, one year after producing “limelight”, he left the States for Europe. In 1953, the couple settled with their children in Corsier, at the Manoir de Ban, a property surrounded by century-old trees. The family was quickly adopted. The children went to the local state school, and the local cinema showed their father’s films, much to their amusement. Every year, Sir Charles and Lady Oona Chaplin used to go to the National Circus Knie when it stopped at Vevey; they were much loved by the community. Sir Charles and Lady Oona Chaplin are buried in the cemetery of Corsier


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

from Julie:

What a great picture of the Statue of Charlie with the lake in front of him. He was and is one of my favorites!